Other Resources for You and Your Family (Updated 6/2017)


LifeLine/SafeLink Wireless® Services

What is it?
SafeLink Wireless® is a program provided by TracFone Wireless, Inc., that makes wireless telephone service more affordable by offering Lifeline service for qualified customers. It began as a federal government program called LifeLine that provided low-income individuals with affordable landline access in their homes.

SafeLink provides qualified participants (one person per household) with a free SafeLink Wireless® cell phone and free monthly allotment of minutes to use the phone to call, text and check voicemail, among other features. There are three different plans to choose from. Other wireless carriers also have similar services for qualifying customers.

Do I qualify?
You qualify for SafeLink Wireless® if your have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guideline, or if you already participate in one of the following assistance programs: Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/Food Stamps), Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), National School Lunch (free program only), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Medicaid.

How do I apply?
You can apply here or call 1-800-Safelink to have an application sent to you via fax or mail. You will need to provide a copy of a document that proves your program or income eligibility.

You must re-qualify annually in order to continue with SafeLink Wireless® service. Service will expire when you are no longer eligible for benefits.

To contact customer service, call SafeLink at 1-800-378-1684.


Domestic violence includes physical abuse such as hitting, kicking, shoving, strangling, and/or sexual violence. Domestic violence can also be emotional abuse, such as name-calling, put-downs and threats and/or intimidation to you or your children, and economic deprivation.

Abusive partners may also steal, destroy property, and keep “track” of their partner by making sure they don’t see family or friends.

How do I know if I’m being abused?
It’s easier to tell if your partner is physically abusive, but are you being abused emotionally?
Here is a checklist of questions you can ask yourself to figure out if you are being abused:

Does your partner…
  • Insult you and always blame you for bad things that happen?
  • Show feelings of intense jealousy when you try to spend time with others?
  • Not allow you to see friends or family?
  • Make you do things you don’t want to do, including forcing or coercing you into having sex or engaging in sexual activity?
  • Spend your money and not let you make financial decisions?
  • Threaten to hurt or kill you, your children, or members of your family?
If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, please get help now!
For more information, click here. Everyone has the right to feel safe and the right to make choices for themselves in a relationship.

How can I get help?

- Be careful about computer safety -

It is possible for your partner to track your computer usage. If you want to use any of the websites linked in this section, possible precautions are to use a computer at a public library or in another public place. 

Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) (TTY 1-800-787-3224). This confidential hotline can refer you to emergency services in your area, like shelters and legal assistance. Spanish-language telephone operators and resources are available.

Call Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence (PCADV) at 1-800-932-4632. You can also find a list of the hotline numbers for every county here. They have a list of domestic violence service agencies that can help you find shelter, get emergency cash assistance, provide counseling and help with legal services. PCADV facilitates a statewide network of 61 domestic violence programs and has a series of specialized program areas to address the needs of women and families experiencing abuse.

Contact the 24-hour information line at the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape (PCAR) at 1-800-772-7227. The hotline operators can connect you to services in your area. You can also click here to find your local rape crisis center. PCAR runs a network of 52 rape crisis centers across Pennsylvania. The centers provide services to survivors of sexual violence and their loved ones, and work to promote public awareness and prevention education in local communities.

If you feel that your life or your children’s lives are in danger right now, call 911 immediately!

Other Hotlines:
National Teen Dating Violence Hotline: 1-800-537-2238 (TTY: 1-800-553-2508; Fax: 717-545-9456)


Resources for Pet Owners Facing Foreclosure

What is it?
Several organizations are available to offer help to pet owners who are facing foreclosure.

How do I apply?
Below is some information about different programs and ways to contact them.

American Humane Association: The American Humane Association has tips for homeowners and others regarding pets in the foreclosure crisis.

Petfinder.com: If you cannot find temporary placement for your pets, visit petfinder.com to search for animal shelters and rescue organizations which do not euthanize adoptable animals. Some organizations may offer to house your pets at no or reduced cost while you find new housing. If you do not reclaim your pets within a certain time period, they may be placed for adoption. Always ask if this is an option.

Spay-Neuter Clinics

What is it?
Low-cost Spay/Neuter Clinics help prevent overpopulation by cats and dogs.

How do I apply?
Below is some information about different programs and ways to contact them.
Friends of Animals (FoA): Pet owners may buy a FoA certificate to pay for routine spay or neuter surgery at participating veterinary hospitals. For more information, you can call 1-800-321-7387.

Spay USA: Spay USA is a nationwide network and referral service that will work with anyone who needs assistance finding affordable spay/neuter services. They can be reached at 1-800-248-SPAY (7729).

Veterinary Care/Pet Food Assistance

What is it?
Veterinary Care Assistance is available for families who are having trouble affording the care their pets need.

How do I apply?
Below is some information about different programs and ways to contact them.
  • Pennsylvania SPCA: The PA SPCA is able to help qualifying low-income pet owners provide quality treatment for their ill or injured pets that they would otherwise be unable to afford. To learn more, contact the SPCA at (215) 426-6300. Be advised that most of the Pennsylvania SPCA’s work is centered around the Philadelphia area.
  • Red Rover Relief: The RedRover Relief program offers one-time grants to low- or no-income families, rescuers and Good Samaritans facing emergency veterinary crises. Grants are also available to help victims of domestic violence escape abuse without leaving their pets behind. 
  • The Prince Chunk Foundation: The Prince Chunk Foundation allows pet owners to keep their pets during times of financial crisis by providing temporary assistance such as free emergency veterinary care and free pet food to pet owners so they never have to choose between caring for themselves and caring for their pets. For more information, please call 856-302-6373.

  • Area Agency on Aging (AAA): The AAA provides employment services to individuals ages 55 and older or refers older individuals to the appropriate agency. To find your local AAA, call 717-783-6207 1550 or click here for a list.
  • Traumatic Brain Injury - The Department of Health: The PA Department of Health can provide information and resources about the condition and treatment of brain injuries, protection and advocacy services, local support groups, as well as links to other websites. The line also offers referrals to community and State resources in addition to the Brain Injury Association of Pennsylvania. Services are available at 1-866-412-4755 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • ChildLine: The mission of ChildLine is to accept calls from the public and professional sources 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Each call is answered by a trained intake specialist who will interview the caller to determine the most appropriate course of action. The Intake Unit (800-932-0313) is available 24 hours to receive reports of suspected child abuse. ChildLine also provides information, counseling, and referral services for families and children to ensure the safety and well being of children of Pennsylvania. 
  • Child Support: For general information about child support or to discuss specific case problems, call 800-932-0211, option number two Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more helplines, hotlines, and Domestic Relations Sections telephone numbers, click here
  • Drug and Alcohol Treatment Programs: For referral to drug and alcohol treatment programs and other services, click for their website or contact the Pennsylvania Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs at 717-783-8200.
  • Elder Abuse: Anyone who believes an older adult (60 years of age or over) is being abused, neglected, exploited or abandoned should contact the Department of Aging's elder abuse hotline at 1-800-490-8505. All calls are confidential.
  • Gambling: If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call the Council on Compulsive Gambling in Pennsylvania’s helpline 1-800-GAMBLER (848-1880) for local resources. 
  • Healthy Baby Line: The statewide Healthy Baby helpline refers callers to programs that offer free or low costs health care services, based on income. Services are available at 1-800-986-BABY (2229).
  • Healthy Kids Line: The statewide Healthy Kids helpline refers callers to programs that offer free or low costs health care services, based on income. Services are available at 1-800-986-KIDS (5437).
  • Lead Information Line: The Lead Information Line offers personal help and written information to parents, physicians, contractors and homeowners about lead poisoning and its prevention and control. Services are available at 1-800-440-LEAD (5323).
  • Long Term Living: Information about the many long term living services available in Pennsylvania to help adults of all ages with disabilities locate services to remain in their home and community. This line connects caregivers and healthcare providers with resources that will help them to navigate the long term living system. Services are available at 1-800-753-8827.
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, a free, 24-hour hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress, at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Your call will be routed to the nearest crisis center to you. Cuando usted llama al número 1-888-628-9454, su llamada se dirige al centro de ayuda de nuestra red disponible más cercano.
  • Safe Haven: If you're pregnant, not prepared to be a mom, and feel you have no one to turn to, there's a Safe Haven for your newborn.  No questions asked, just drop the child off at the nearest hospital or with a police officer at a police station. Call 1-866-921-7233 for more information.
  • Tobacco Quitline: 1-800-QUIT-NOW (784-8669) provides access to many different types of cessation information and services, including free support and advice from an experienced cessation counselor, a personalized quit plan and self-help materials, social support and coping strategies to help you deal with cravings, and the latest information about cessation medications.
  • Pennsylvania Department of Health Telephone Directory

Click on the programs or information below to view a printable pdf of the information provided:
Cell Phones
Domestic Violence
Additional Resources